Saturday, March 8, 2008

Lazarus, come out!

Yes, this is the Gospel reading for Sunday, March 9, the story of the raising of Lazarus from his tomb. Yes, I am still writing my sermon, so yes, more on this text later.

LAST WEEK, when the Gospel story was about Jesus giving sight to the man born blind, I did a power point illustrated sermon. All the Gospel texts this Lent are long ones, sometimes better understood if read in parts, or if I illustrated them as I did last week. I found a wonderful variety of depictions of the story of the giving of sight to the man born blind, pictures you, too, can find on the internet. Just do a Google Images search, and wonderful things appear -- images that might make you stop and think, might give you another interpretation of the text, another idea where it might lead you deeper into the mystery of Christ.

I'm going to put up a few links to other blogs -- see over there on the right -- that use art and imagery to expand our ideas of the texts, of the words, of our faith. Stories bring pictures to our imaginations. See how artists over the centuries have brought those imaginations to light.

No comments: